Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Election Night in The Johnson House

During the last election I was in a dorm room at my University with a roommate who had very different political views than myself, this year however I was safely ensconced at home with my loving family bubble of support surrounding me. I was, however, just as nervous about this election's outcome as the last. I watched the NBC coverage of the states being called in, and up until around 10:00 I wasn't convinced that it wasn't going to be a clear winner.  Brian Williams stuck out in my mind as being perfectly bipartisan, and one particular moment, and the relevancy of twitter updates really stayed with me. During the coverage the theme of reading of twitter updates was something that was very different from the last election and the coverage of it that I remember, it was interesting to have a play by play of other people's reactions to the race as well as my own reaction to compare it to. I think that one particular twitter comment, and the reaction of Brian Williams was quite hilarious, however not exactly relevant to the political situation, but Donald Trump was certainly put in his place. It is astounding to me that this nation has become so fixated on what celebrity's are doing, thinking, and saying that we now have something as useless as twitter to keep up with their lives. This has become such an issue that the twitter accounts of celebrities become relevant to the coverage of the election of the President of the United States. While it is interesting sometimes to know what other people's opinions of the happenings of election night are, I don't believe twitter updates need to be a part of national coverage. Although I must say that it is always nice to see how negative comments made by celebrities can have a greater effect now than perhaps four years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment